Group has enabled me to meet women in similar spaces, helping to reduce my feelings of isolation. SSAIC has helped me to reclaim my life.
What kind of counselling does SSAIC provide?
At SSAIC we support survivors of sexual violence in their independent journeys toward healing.
We believe you, and we believe in you. Our counsellors use a feminist, trauma-informed and client-centered framework; we let you direct the conversation and the session agenda based on your needs.
We want survivors and support people of all genders to feel empowered in their healing. Our goals are your goals; we never investigate the validity of your experience, and we support your choices regarding medical care and the legal system.
Individual and group counselling
The Saskatoon Sexual Assault Centre (SSAIC) provides individual and group counselling to people of all genders who have experienced recent or historical sexual abuse or sexual assault. Counselling is also available to partners and families of survivors. These services are free and confidential.
For those wishing to access Aboriginal cultural healing options, we can offer support and referrals.
Counselling is available to people of all genders who have been affected by sexual violence, with the following exceptions:
- Children under the age of 16 unless:
- The extent of police involvement has been determined and we are able to ensure that counselling will not hamper an investigative process, and
- An assessment has been made as to whether the child is in need of protection and if they are, that the abuse has been reported to the Ministry of Social Services.
- Children under the age of 12. These children will be referred to appropriate services. Counselling will be offered to the caregivers of these children.
- Individuals who, when 12 years old or older, sexually abused or assaulted another individual.
We cannot serve you if you have ever been a perpetrator of sexual abuse or assault.
For questions about intake, group counselling dates, or other information, please call the office at 306-244-2294.